After a horrific sleepover, devastated parents were forced to end their relationship with their 13-year-old daughter. They’ve now issued a warning to prevent similar tragedies from happening to others.
Esra Haynes, who passed away at the age of 13, had a strange cause for her terrible demise.
This young woman, who co-captained the Montrose Football Netball Club and was described as “motivated, lively, cheeky, and gifted,” fell victim to the chroming trend, which is inhaling hazardous substances through the lips or nose in order to become high.
Esra competed in BMX bike races with her siblings and led her team to a national aerobics championship in Queensland. She was active and led a healthy lifestyle. Nevertheless, all of that was snatched from her as a result of a poor choice she made on March 31 while staying over at a friend’s house.
Esra inhaled a toxic dose of aerosol deodorant while trying to join the viral trend, fell into cardiac arrest, and suffered irreversible brain damage.
Her parents felt terrible. They spoke on Ally Langdon’s show A Current Affair where they discussed the heartache and tragic results of breathing poisonous substances in an effort to stop such incidents from occurring to other impressionable young people.
Her mother Andrea told Langdon in the interview, “It was just the typical routine of going to hang out with her friends.” We always knew where she was and who she was with, her father Paul continued.
There was nothing unusual about it.
We regrettably received the call saying, “Come and collect your daughter,” which is one of the calls no parent ever wants to have to make at that hour of the night.
Her pals were first unaware of how critical Esra’s situation was. They didn’t realize that one of their pals was passing away in front of them; they merely thought she was suffering a panic attack. She was in cardiac arrest, but Langdon pointed out that no one at the sleepover had ever heard of cardiac arrest. “After breathing deodorant, her body was truly starting to shut down,” he said.
Esra’s mother came at her side as paramedics worked to revive her and informed her that her daughter had been chroming, a term the terrified mother had never before heard.
Esra was taken to the hospital and put on life support, but eight hours later the parents were informed that Esra’s brain injury was irreparable and they had to decide whether to turn off the life support or not.
Andrea and Paul called friends and family to bid them farewell, but they knew there was nothing they could do. “To such a young spirit, that was a very, very tough thing to do. So that we could lay with her, she was placed on a bed. We held her close until the last end.
Imogen, Seth, and Charlie, Esra’s siblings, have been devastated by the loss of their sister.
For everyone concerned, including her friends, it was just terrible, Paul added. That has been the most challenging and terrible time for any parent. We haven’t been sleeping, eating much, smiling, and otherwise acting like ourselves. But the community is also affected, not just us.
Since Esra passed away, Andrea and Paul are making every effort to stop the insane viral fad that claimed the life of their daughter.
In an interview with 7 News, Paul expressed regret over not learning about chroming when Esra was still alive so he could have warned her of the risks: “If we had been informed and the information had been spread, we would have had the talk around our kitchen table for sure.
“We need to step it up and allow these youngsters get the information directly from the source, rather than through friends or social media-then they’ll receive the appropriate guidance from the get-go.”
Esra is not the first person to become chromized. Several young people have perished as a result of its effects over the years because it may so quickly cause seizures, heart attacks, asphyxia, sudden smelling death, comas, and organ failure.
Paul said to Langdon, “We have the images in our minds that will never be erased, you know, of what we were confronted with. “Our insides were torn out.”
We really regret this family’s loss and hope that no parent would ever go through such heartache.
Please SHARE this story with your family and friends on Facebook.