While having fun at Gwinnett County Park, Leslie Howe and her kids came across a strange little animal with light fur. Because they were interested, the kids wanted to touch it, but Leslie’s maternal instincts stopped them.
It turned out that the creature was a “pus worm,” a special kind of caterpillar that releases poison and can hurt you very badly just by touching you. Leslie protected her kids from a dangerous bite without realizing it.
These caterpillars are dangerous because when they bite someone, they make them feel very sick and make them sweat a lot. From Florida to North Carolina, they have been putting little kids through a lot of pain. Some people got hurt when caterpillars fell from trees and hit them.
Be very careful when you’re outside, especially in places with lots of plants, like parks. Do not touch these caterpillars, and do not let kids touch them either. This warning needs to be sent to as many people as possible; it’s better to be safe than to put our kids’ health at risk.